If you’re planning a road trip with your cat but don’t know what to do and how, this blog is for you. We discuss tips for traveling with a cat, Traveling with a cat in a long distance car is no longer difficult. All you have to do is take the necessary precautions and care and you are good to go.
Reading this article can help you:
- You will know everything you need to pack before the trip.
- You will know everything you need to know before traveling with a cat.
- Will know the best place to travel with a cat.
- Get to know some of the best cat friendly hotels.
Here we start with tips for traveling with a cat!
Here are some tips and tricks to help you plan how to travel with cats a long distance by car.
So if you’ve finally decided to take your four-legged friend a long distance by car. Next, here are a few things you need to keep in mind. Traveling with the cat is a lot of fun, but at the same time it can be very difficult if it doesn’t go well.
This blog will certainly solve many of your queries and help you find the best possible solutions.
Things you should pack before the trip starts
Here is a list of some essentials needed when traveling with the cat.
A cat carrier is definitely one of the most important things you need when traveling with a cat. It is strongly recommended that you carry a cat carrier to facilitate your trip.
- Choosing the right cat carrier is a very important decision. Whether it’s to take your cat to the vet or on a trip, a cat carrier plays an essential role. Keep these things in mind when choosing the right cat carrier.
- Look for the correct size of the cat carrier. Try to buy a stand that is at least 1.5 times the size of your cat. Your cat should be able to move and stand or sleep easily inside the carrier. If you are planning to take a baby carrier specifically for travel, it is recommended that you take a much larger size so that you can fit a litter box inside.
- If you are unable to go for soft backing or hard backing, it’s completely your choice. Although flexible media are preferred over rigid media.
- If your cat is a little aggressive, go for a rigid support because it is not breakable.
Another important thing that you need to carry when traveling with a cat is the litter box. Look for a litter box that fits perfectly inside the cat carrier. Empty it from time to time.
Why choose Microchips
The next important thing is the microchips. If your cat is stolen or misplaced, you can easily find it using this microchip. A microchip is very important when traveling with a pet. This guarantees their safety and security.
Sedatives for cats
If your cat does not calm down, you can opt for sedatives. Sedatives are really great for calming your cat down on a long walk. Before choosing sedatives, consult your veterinarian. Only use the sedative in the extreme situation and this too when your vet recommends it.
Here are some signs that will tell you your cat is way too nervous during the trip
- If he meows too much or very little
What sedatives and how do you give them to your cat?
If you give your cat tablets. Give it to them either by mashing it into their food or opt for flavored tablets. If you give them the tablets by crushing them in their food, try giving them in wet food, don’t go for tuna or chicken.
For a liquid sedative, use a syringe. Have someone hold the cat to prevent scratches. Open your mouth and apply the syringe to the back third of your mouth to prevent foaming.
List of some sedatives:
- Benzodiazepine: Lasts 12 hours
- Diphenhydramine Last 30 minutes
- Chlorpheniramine: Duration 8 to 12 hours
- Gabapentin: Lasts 8 hours
What you should know before traveling with a cat
It is very common for cats to dislike traveling very much, so there are a few things to keep in mind when traveling with your cat in the car.
- Play with your cat before the trip to get tired and use the most energy for sleep.
- Make your cat comfortable with the baby carrier if you’ve never used it before. You can simply keep your baby carrier in a corner of your house for your cat to get used to.
- Keep your cat in the baby carrier and leave it there longer so that it becomes usual.
- Bring toys to make them feel comfortable. Pick up their favorite toy to keep them busy and familiar with the surroundings.
- Don’t overfeed them, if you feed your cat once a day that’s fine. Try to avoid giving food in the morning.
- Place your baby carrier on the floor of the back seat, this place is quite safe. Do not let your cat walk in the car, keep him in a harness or a baby carrier.
- Do not open the doors of your car if your cat is not harnessed, as it could jump out of the car.
- Stop at regular intervals, such as every 2 to 3 hours. This will give you and your cat enough time to relax and stretch.
- Keep your windows closed and listen to soft music. Wrap your luggage rack with a towel if there is too much traffic noise.
- Last but not the least, do not leave your cat alone in the car as this can be very dangerous for their health.
Best places to travel with your cat
There are some amazing places to travel with your cat. In search of such a place, here is a list of amazing destinations that you can visit with your furry friend.
Cat Island in Japan
One of the most popular destinations is Japan’s Cat Island or Aoshima. It’s one of those destinations where you’ll find more cats and fewer humans. These cats will surround you once you get off your boat. There are only a few people residing in Aoshima and you will love this place.
The accommodations there are cute shapes of cats and thousands of kittens roam the road. Hold your cat firmly if he gets lost, you won’t be able to find him.
Bring your own food and don’t throw litter here and there !!
The Queen Mary 2
How about taking your cat on a luxury cruise. There is a place called Queen Mary 2 which is explicitly built for dogs and cats to enjoy the cruise. There you will see around 24 kennels, including 12 on the upper floors and 12 on the lower iron floors. Your cat will stay on the upper floor. There is a special kennel made for lettering. A kennel master is there whose job it is to look after your cats.
You can come and meet your cat at different 4 hour intervals as cats are not allowed in your cabin. But they will receive the same luxurious treatment as you.
The best little cat house, Los Angeles
The best small cat house is a luxurious boarding service for your cat to relax. Plus, your cat will benefit from the best grooming sessions here. To your surprise, common rooms, private rooms, suites and deluxe rooms are available. Don’t worry, all rooms are cage-free. Actually the best part is that you can monitor your chat from a webcam.
Best Cat Friendly Hotels
- This is one of the cat friendly hotels where you can stay in New Orleans. A special package called the Monte Pet Package is available.
- In this package, your feline friend will receive special treats, a bowl of water, food, cute chew toys, and brochures that tell you about all the pet-friendly attractions in town.
- In fact, there is a floor made entirely for pets, and your cat can walk around easily and make new friends.
- Kimpton’s is another pet friendly hotel. They love pets and won’t mind if you take your feline friend.
- There is no additional charge for pets.
- They have dogs as a member of hospitality and for different services.
- You and your cat will love this place for everything from food to hospitality.
- There are special treats and foods for pets like cats, dogs and more!
- La Quinta only allows pets such as dogs and cats to stay at the hotel.
- The hotel is located at the right distance where you can find many cat friendly destinations.
- Small fees are charged for your pet.
- No more than two pets are allowed in a room.
Your feline friends need a break, too. So, follow all of these tips and tricks to make your trip easy and smooth. Traveling with a cat a long distance by car is a great idea. So go on vacation with your cat and enjoy your trip.
Have a nice trip!
Some frequently asked questions
How long can a cat travel by car?
The idle time of a cat for traveling by car is approximately 2 hours. You need to take frequent breaks after 2 hours so your cat can relax, especially if she is traveling in a pet carrier.
How many hours do skin plugs hold their pee?
Cats can hold their pee between 24 and 48 hours. Even if they drink enough and eat regular meals.
How to travel with your cats on a long road trip?
You should keep the following in mind when traveling with the cat.
- Keep your cat in a carrier
- Talk to your vet about your cat’s health and can walk two such long distances
- Take appropriate breaks after 2 to 3 hours so your cat can drink the water and litter.
- Always take extra food and medicine for your cat.
How to calm your cat while traveling by car?
If you want to come, your cat will reduce the noise around. Cover the pet carrier with the towel to reduce noise and play soothing music.
Is Benadryl safe for cats to put them to sleep?
Benadryl is considered to be extremely safe and secure, but be careful if you give it access there is a likelihood of putting your cat’s lethargy on hold.
Do cats suffer from car sickness?
Motion sickness is the most common problem that cats face. Cats are much more difficult than dogs to overcome anxiety when traveling by car. Most cats experience motion sickness due to the stress and anxiety caused by travel.
You can also read it! 7 best surf spots in the world in which we also go into details like surf tips and discuss the best spots in the world for surfing!
Here you can also read an article from another website on a related topic which may help you further How to calm a cat in the car!